Go Back   BABoards > Archives > The ALL ABOUT US Threads
  Reload this Page How often do you rewatch old BtVS eps?
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How often do you rewatch old eps?
Practically every day 8 25.81%
A few times a week 18 58.06%
Only when they're on TV 3 9.68%
The odd time, if there's nothing good on TV 2 6.45%
Never. Been there, seen that 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th Nov 2001, 15:59   #1
Lynn
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Lynn Send a message via AIM to Lynn
Question How often do you rewatch old BtVS eps?

I've rewatched pretty much every ep in the last three months - partly due to my over-reaction after the Gift (i.e. pretty much not watching any BtVS at all for a couple of months).

So do you guys rewatch? Do you watch random favourite eps, one season at a time, or restart at the beginning of S5 and working right through? Do you fall asleep every night with your old BtVS tapes in the VCR?

Another thing that I find occasionally is I'll be rewatching something from S4 and suddenly be all surprised to see Joyce alive and well, or Buffy snogging Riley. Does that happen to anyone else if you've just watched new eps and go back to old ones?
Ned: "You ugly, hate-filled man!" Moe: "Hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled but... what was the third thing you said?"
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:03   #2
Lynn
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Lynn Send a message via AIM to Lynn
I hope no-one had replied on the original copy of this post btw! I deleted it to include a poll in the repost. Apologies if anyone's post got lost!!
Ned: "You ugly, hate-filled man!" Moe: "Hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled but... what was the third thing you said?"
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:21   #3
THP
Administrator
Sorcerer

Hmm... the answer I has was: Between 2-7 (musical set this record) times in the week they come out, quite often while that season shows, occasionally for a year or two and older stuff gets dragged out on special occasions

Didn't see it though

I am not a f***ing pin!

Be a Government Informer. Betray your Family and Friends. Fabulous prizes to be won. - Red Dwarf 5.6
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:28   #4
lolapants
Council Member

I usually rewatch the week's ep. once right away, but drag out the older eps a couple of times a week - I'll just randomly pick - no real order. I have all S1, most of S2, most of S3, all of S4 and all of S5 interspersed with the Angels from that night - and I'll pop in a tape and watch to the end (on average about 6-8 eps a tape...( I buy the 8 hour tapes...).
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:30   #5
redgoatee
Associate Council Member

Send a message via Yahoo to redgoatee
I have this cool system, maybe you guys might like it.

I watch the eps in the new season. I try not to rewatch them at all, until the end of the season. I just got done rewatching S5 again.

Now, with the older seasons, there is no system for me. For a while, I would watch The Zeppo 2-3 times a week. I've been going through Angel S1 again.

Lately, though, I'm in school full-time, plus work full-time, so it's hard to watch them as often.
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:49   #6
Janus
Executive Council Member

I practically never rewatch old eps. Not enough time... and I don't like watching something when I know the story. So, I have to forget everything before I rewatch. That takes some time, so I could only watch the previous seasons.
But when I rewatch something (I have the DVDs, after all), it's something from the highlight section...

I'm looking forward to rewatch 6.07, though. Can't wait to get the CD back...

~ J ~
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:55   #7
Dark Wader

Send a message via ICQ to Dark Wader
I don't rewatch the whole ep, just scenes
Old 30th Nov 2001, 16:56   #8
lorne

I rewatch in seasons but with new eps interspersed. i tend to watch a new ep a week after first viewing then not again until a ful season watch. Although I will normally watch at lest one bufy or angel a day going though seasons resently has been slow due to the fact we've had a new ep of each show every week. (I'm still on the s3 DVDs).
Changing the question slightly do u guys watch s4 of Buffy with s1 of angel and so on one after the other as broadcast or seperately? I used to alwasy watch them together but now I watch them separtly (probably as the shows have recently become far more detarcted from each other).
adam

You can't take the sky from me
Old 30th Nov 2001, 17:22   #9
Draven-x
Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Draven-x
Problem is, all my S4/S5 Buffy's and S1/S2 Angel's are on the same tapes. One perk to being on different networks is now I have a separate tape for each.

I've been catching the F/X reruns here and there, and that's been it for re-watching. I have a friend who always forgets to tape the show, so we have to rewatch two or three of the most recent eps at a time to get her caught up. Other than that, too many other things I wanna see to re-watch regularly...
Old 30th Nov 2001, 18:51   #10
Evil

Cool

On my own I rewatch random episodes a couple times a week but I have a whole crew of people who are now up to season 3 and all come over to watch the "new" buffy episodes. I don't think any of them are watching the new seasons they just figure they'll get there eventually.

Plus I watch those eps again if anyone missed a day to catch them up.

As for Angel.... I don't know if the group is going to watch those or not. We usually sit around chatting about Buffy when its over and it seems that would be lacking some if we had to watch Angel as well.

I only rewatch ONE episode of angel. And thats Dead End. This one gets drug out and watched probably once every couple months. It may be one of my favorite 48 hours style shows ever (including movies). "Stop it evil hand! Stop it!"
Old 30th Nov 2001, 19:19   #11
lolapants
Council Member

I do watch the reruns on fx as well, if I'm home... those are fun, even though I have them on tape already - it's kinda different in feeling... and it's good 'cuz any that I might be missing I can tape then!
Old 30th Nov 2001, 19:29   #12
DarkAngel
Ex-Moderator

Cool

I only tend to watch them on TV these days (I have the videos but I've seen them so many times I'm giving them a break for a bit )

I took the question to mean past seasons and not season 6, which I am rewatching all the time, especially OMWF
"I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair gel I like so much! Quickly, to the Angelmobile! Away!" - Spike
Old 30th Nov 2001, 23:56   #13
BigRock

Send a message via AIM to BigRock
Well, I can only rewatch full seasons at a time, past seasons anyway. Even if it's the most recent one (like S5). It like annoys me to watch an ep by itself. I guess I just like to be able to put it in context with everything else going on, I don't know. And I also used to always watch S4/S1 together. And the first time I re-watched them, I watched S5/S2 together. But now I prefer to watch them separately.

I'm almost always in the middle of watching some season, so I usually watch at least a few eps a week. It's been a little less now, because I watch so many shows, and with the television season still fairly early and sweeps just ending, almost everything is new. And I try to get all them in before I watch Buffy reruns. I'll usually just pick out a season at random, or like, right now, I've been watching the entire run of Buffy from Ep1 (I'm up Hush now). But I rarely if ever rewatch single eps out of order. Even during the current season. I mean, I'll sometimes rewatch an ep that just aired, before the next one does (and I don't always do that), but beyond that, even during the season, I watch them in a row. Usually about halfway thru the current season, I'll watch the first 11 or 12 eps in a row, and then rewatch the whole season again after the finale. (I thought this was weird, but judging by some other responses, maybe not. ).

The exception to this is the musical. I've watched that at least 30 or 40 times now. I've watched it once a day every day since it aired, except for the Sunday after it aired, and on Thanksgiving. And sometimes twice in one day. I swear I'm like obsessed. Although, sometimes I don't watch the whole ep. I mean, I always go from beginning to end, but a lot of times I fast forward thru the dialogue and just listen (and sing along) to the songs. Still not tired of it.
Old 1st Dec 2001, 00:03   #14
Hugo Rune
Executive Council Member

Send a message via ICQ to Hugo Rune Send a message via Yahoo to Hugo Rune
I go back and watch the occasional episode... sometimes someone will post a good line from an episode I've not seen in years and I'll have to scratch the Itch... but normally I don't rewatch until I buy them....

And heck I bought the Season 2 DVD back in May and I've only watched Passion and Becoming Part 1 of the set.... I listened to the commentaries whilst cleaning my room.

I'm saving them for when I can't remember all the lines and moments.... probably when the show finishes its run I'll go back and rewatch them.

I just don't want to do what I did with Babylon 5 and rewatch the point where I simply can't watch it any more... I've got them all on VHS (bought) and I don't think I could go near the series until at least 2010...

Hugo
Old 1st Dec 2001, 01:06   #15
Biz
Council Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Biz
I try to keep it under once a year. Keeps them fresh each time I watch them.
Old 1st Dec 2001, 02:55   #16
Natrad
Executive Council Member

Send a message via ICQ to Natrad
At home, I'd probably pull them out once or twice a week. Normally Series 2/3 Buffy, and Angel. When I go home, I'll probably have a mini-fest to get up to speed.

Up here, I have a couple of vids my predecessor left me, which she taped off Fox. They're currently doing the rounds of the city, so I'm left with my laptop and the current seasons .
Old 1st Dec 2001, 03:20   #17
Righteousman

Send a message via ICQ to Righteousman
Other than the standalone eps (Hush, The Zeppo, The Wish) which need very little background, I usually watch a season's set -- except the top 10 eps, for sheer quality....

My guess? At least 4 times of S1 to S4 straight (number of converts), and at least double the really great eps....

And that of course doesn't count the number of times I re-watch a potato, for quality assurance testing...

Cheers,
Old 1st Dec 2001, 07:35   #18
Black Magic
Ex-Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Black Magic
After a season has finished, I generally either have a marathon before or after the finale - either to work myself up for it, or to just review the season. Besides that, I'll just rewatch a random eppy when I'm bored. I'd say on average I see every episode I like around 4 or 5 times - the only ones I haven't really watched again are a few episodes of Season 1 Angel and Season 2 Buffy. Eppies like War Zone and Ted are best left alone.
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 07:20   #19
LionFlame
Scooby Gang Member

Depends on if I remember or not.
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 17:53   #20
Buffy's #1 Crush
Ex-Moderator

I watch the reruns whenever I can on FX because I am missing some eps from my collection.

I go back and watch the new eps one or two times before the next week's ep.

And when I am having a bad day, I'll pop in "Restless" or anything from Season 1.
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 18:55   #21
Retribution
Junior Watcher

Quote:
I watch the reruns whenever I can on FX because I am missing some eps from my collection.

I think I have an addiction. I tape them on Fx every night, yet I always rush home to watch them at 6PM (even though I am taping them). I can't help it...

And then I watch part of them the next morning while I get ready for work...
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 18:57   #22
lolapants
Council Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Retribution

And then I watch part of them the next morning while I get ready for work...

I do that too... When my S.O. is in the shower - the worst part is - I kind of hide it from him! It *IS* like an addiction!
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 22:54   #23
Sleigh
Executive Council Member

Send a message via AIM to Sleigh
Used to watch my favorite old eps every once in a while....maybe a couple of times a year I'd have a rainy Saturday or Sunday and do my own personal marathon. Then with reruns on FX I was watching every day....now I'm down to a few times a week for the FX eps. Not really rewatching any of this season's eps, except I have rewatched the musical ep a few times (mostly with friends who hadn't seen it). (In fact *gasp* I haven't even bothered to tape all of this season's eps).

I could so save the world if somebody handed me super powers -- Real Me
All of a sudden rich and handsome isn't enough. Now I expect a guy to be all brave and interesting. -- Bachelor Party
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 23:53   #24
Zyliq
Rogue Demon Hunter

Send a message via ICQ to Zyliq
Arrow

When buffy was a phenomenon as much as it was a tv show, i watched a lot. A real lot. I doubt there is a S1-S2 epp i've seen less than ten times (twice that for some), and an S3 epp less than five. S4, not so much, and by S5 rewatching epps once sometimes felt like homework (a thing i thought i should do more than a thing i really wanted to do). I don't think i watched any epps last summer, and so far this season i've only rewatched OMWF and Smashed.

I still tape them all though! Sheesh .

Best,

--Steve
Old 4th Dec 2001, 00:22   #25
Mattia

Well, lets see....

<and hi again, showed up, posted some, got busy, dissapeared again. Ah well>

I don't have a 'regular' rewatch schedule. I do rewatch when I'm presenting stuff to my sister and parents (take the tapes home, like...), but beyond that, it's rather sporadic.

When I get in the mood, I start rewatching stuff, in sequence, never really one for 'random' here and there rewatches, although I did do that with some of the S1 eps I've got on DVD. Standalone, first DVD eps, blah blah blah. And rewatching the commentary tracked eps does happen as well.

Most eps I've seen at least, 4-5 times, some more, and season 5 least of all seasons thus far (not because I don't want to rewatch, or because I don't like the season; simply because I want to savor the moment. Oh, and watch it with family. I do follow the BBC's airings.) S6: too early to really start rewatching, IMO.