Go Back   BABoards > The BA Discussion Boards > General Entertainment Forum
  Reload this Page 24 2x24 - 7:00 - 8:00am
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Anyone who doesn't vote 10 is insane!!
10 5 45.45%
9 0 0%
8 6 54.55%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th May 2003, 21:54   #1
Foxy
Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Foxy
24 2x24 - 7:00 - 8:00am

how can anyone not have started a thread yet! god I loved it! we were cheering along and shouting "palmer kicks ass" then suddenly wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm still in shock!!!!!! how could they!!!!!!!!!!!!! wahhhhhhh
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2003, 22:43   #2
Righteousman

Send a message via ICQ to Righteousman
DAMN.

Still in shock. I was hoping Mandy would show up in S2, but DAMN.

Will post later.

10/10.

Cheers,
Old 20th May 2003, 22:50   #3
Siri

It was ok. We've had countless eps of WOOHOOO, and for the finale, we have a few WOOHOOs, and besides that it relies mostly on the ending. Which was very cool by the way. Poor Palmer!!

BTW i will be very pissed off if he lives!
Siri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2003, 23:06   #4
The Host
Executive Council Member

Oh MY GOD!!!

BTW I will be very pissed off if he dies
Old 21st May 2003, 14:27   #5
Siri

Let the easy resolves stay in the series that majors in them, Alias
Old 21st May 2003, 14:32   #6
kelt

Send a message via ICQ to kelt Send a message via AIM to kelt
After worrying so much about how they were going to tie things up..... WOOT! And can I get a second Yeeeeeeeeeeeha?

First off I would like to nominate the second season of 24 as the most consistantly strong season of television ever. I mean really, can anyone come up with a show that could lay title to tha claim over what we have just seen?

Great moments.

Mike pulling through and calling up CTU. Without him we would have had a war, but in another sense, if he had stayed with Palmer, I don't think Palmer would have ever been kicked outta office. But then here is the thing. I don't think Palmer was wrong in relieving Mike of duty, it just seems odd in light of keeping EVERYONE else around who tried to kick him out and voted him off the island. Yes, Mike was supposed to stick with Palmer, but there would have been no movement to deposed Palmer if Prescott hadn't started it and been behind it. So, he'll trust some sleazy sleazy and stupid people not to make the mistake again, but not Mike? Hrmmmm -- not the biggest of deals, just something to ponder.

Jack and Kim's final scene. Finally things work out for Kim and she gets to hold dads hand. It was a great moment. Not quie as powerful as Jacks in flight I'm going to die speech, but still, very nice. Also, I loved how Jack didn't die. I haven't read any spoilers about Season 3, and I'm not even sure if a Season 3 is going to happen -- but now it sure looks that way eh?

Palmer kicking ass. Palmer kicks ass bu just being Palmer. I love his character so much for his force, his presense, and well, his unwavering belief in Jack Bauer. I know that Lynne should reappear and take Mike's position, but wouldn't Jack and Palmer working side by side be rather neat to see again?

Chapelle biting the big one. Well, not the death big one that I was kinda hoping for, but in a wasy it was nice seeing him not die due to him being such a great foil to Tony and Michelle. Tony has to have someone to fight against, but now that the battle is over -- err changing -- I can see Chappelle being a pretty kick ass guy to have on your side. Kinda like what happened with Mason.

When tony tells bitca women he was let out. Nuff said. Hope she gets put through a plate glass window.

Mary behind the glass in the chair. Hot damn that was creepy. I would have liked to have seen her character earlier, or Nina pop up again, but that really was an awesome scene. She was rpetty terrifying in that harsh overhead light! I was also still thinking that Kate was also going to turn out to be evil... guess not.

The last scene with Palmer. It's one thing to reassure the pubic, it's another thing to go out into sky scraper surroundings. ergg, just seemed pretty dumb to get surrounded by the public right after a nuclear bomb went off and you just stopped and international plot to kill millions for profit. Also, I'm just thinking here that Palmer isn't going to die. If they wanted to kill him, wouldn't it have been much easier to have just blown his head off with a high powered rifle from the roof of one of those buildings? If by attacking Palmer the war is supposed to start again....it needs to lead back to the mid east... so how is that going to happen, specially since the US/Palmer is not looking to go to war until ALL options are looked into.

Okay, please help me here -- who was the assasin at the end? I know we've seen her before, but where? She's Mandy.... Damn, I can't remember my Season 1!

Ahhhhhhh, thanks RM -- remember who Mandy is now!

Overall, the kick ass ending I expected.

10/10
kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2003, 18:01   #7
The Host
Executive Council Member

Maybe jack has 24 hours to find a cure for Palmer next season
Old 21st May 2003, 18:05   #8
Siri

Quote:
Originally posted by kelt
It's one thing to reassure the pubic,
That sounds like something from Magnolia

Quote:
Tom Cruise : Reassure the pubic, and tame the ****!
Old 21st May 2003, 19:16   #9
Siri

Btw: FOX has 24 in it's upcoming fall schedule
Old 21st May 2003, 19:50   #10
Sleigh
Executive Council Member

Send a message via AIM to Sleigh
Fox gave 24 an early renewal back in February. Yay!

Loved this episode. Palmer kicks ass! And so do Jack and Tony. I really liked the closing scenes with Jack and Kim and with Tony and Michelle.

I definitely hope they bring back Palmer. I just wish I could figure out how killing the President could immediately lead to war after all that's happened. I guess it depends on who gets blamed....

My other question is, does getting hauled off in handcuffs mean this is the end of Sherry Palmer? As bad as she is, I'm sorry to see her character go.

One last thought about Sherry....I just loved the scene with her and Kingsley when he ordered her shot and then.....nothing! Trust Jack to save the day once again. It was probably predictable but I was so caught up in the episode that I still loved it.

I could so save the world if somebody handed me super powers -- Real Me
All of a sudden rich and handsome isn't enough. Now I expect a guy to be all brave and interesting. -- Bachelor Party

Last edited by Sleigh : 21st May 2003 at 19:58.
Sleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 07:01   #11
JennyElf
Watcher

Agreed. Total kick ass ep. Was watching it with a friend on IM. Near the end the conversation went something like :

OMG it's HER!!!
OMG it's HER!!
Run Palmer! Run!
No don't shake her hand!!
Odd, nothing happened.
What's she taking off her hand? did she get his prints or something?
OMG Palmer!! Noooooooooooo!!!!
They did not just end it that way!!!
You mean we have to wait all summer for the next part?
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I think that about sums up my thoughts too.
JennyElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 08:55   #12
s_morgana

Damn it I still don't remember Mandy!

Advocate of the Light
s_morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 12:34   #13
Mortarion
Associate Council Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s_morgana
Damn it I still don't remember Mandy!

She was the lass that got the identity card of the bloke on the plane at the beginning of the first season. Being a fan of Mia Kirshner really helped me in recognising her
Old 22nd May 2003, 16:23   #14
Foxy
Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Foxy
Mandy was only in the first three episodes of the first season Alex! If I remember correctly she actually had a hot girlfriend who was (of course cos all lesbians in tv/films have to suffer some sort of tragedy) shot and killed leaving poor mandy all teary!! Immediately after though she agreed to do a "big summer job" for Gaines and of course we all know what job that was now don't we!!

Sigh I can't believe a lesbian has killed palmer! Makes me wish I wish I was straight!!!
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 16:32   #15
Siri

Again we see, lesbianism = evil!!

Old 22nd May 2003, 21:39   #16
s_morgana

Hmm my memory sucks. I'll have to dig out those season one cds.

Advocate of the Light
s_morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 21:57   #17
Righteousman

As my Buffy-finally-over pains subside, I guess I ought to finish that 24 finale review...

The Great

Mike/Palmer -- Yeah, it rocked that Palmer forgave his staff, except for the one guy who made it possible to get his presidency back. Gotta *love* the irony, yet it was totally in keeping with Palmer's MO.

That Ending -- I think I mentioned a few eps ago that I was sure the writers planted the "summer job" line for future reference, but I really never thought they'd pull her out at the end. But, as soon as they did, Sneetz was all like, "Biological attack! Biological attack!", where I was all, "Sleep with him and get all nekkid again!" (Well, not really, but I was *thinking* it ). Great ending, and now it really makes me wonder -- will they go into the next 24 hours straight off, or will they go later for S3?

Problem with going right away is that 1) Jack is in NO condition to act, and 2) everyone at CTU, including Michelle & Tony, are completely bagged. Plus, if they only go next day, it makes it harder (but not impossible) to introduce new characters. To be honest, the new blood is what keeps this show fresh -- while Jack, Palmer & Tony rocked, it was Michelle/Kate & Marie Warner/Reiza/Saied Ali/etc. who gave the show its fresh edge.
On the plus side, for sure Marie Warner and maybe even Nina would likely be back.

But, if they go longer than next day, then for sure Palmer is history - and that would suck bigtime. Plus, as others mentioned, it's hard to see how this would trigger a war after what Palmer just said. *Sigh*

(Now *that's* a cliffhanger - not only do we have to wait to see what happens, we don't even know if they plan on doing next day, or in the future!).

Tony/Chappelle/Michelle -- Loved that payback scene, and the writers did come up with a very organic way to get Tony & Michelle escape the mess they were in. Plus, a nice little ending scene for them.

The Warner Clan -- Loved that Marie was still uncompromisingly evil to the end. Plus, the way things are now, you figure she might not be out of the picture for S3 now, and that goes for Kate too.

Sherry/Coliseum scene -- Loved the action, and loved that Jack took 'em most of 'em down with the sniper rifle; it's like real estate -- location, location, location.

The OK

Kim -- No wet T-shirt scenes, but she didn't do anything stupid, so I guess it cancels each other out. Oh well, it's too much to hope for intelligent arcs in S3 for her, so maybe we can NYPD-type nudity for next year with her.

The Bad

Jack's "heart" -- Can't go without once *again* pointing out how the writers keep flogging any notion of realism with Jack's actions. If he's having a heart attack, then no way he can do hand-to-hand with a commando. Perhaps he can shoot, because he can stay in one position, but no hand-to-hand. Still, the writers have pretty much gone Alias-style with this, so I'll just leave it at that.

Overall

Well, I'm really psyched for next year, but a little worried. If they go into the next 24 hours, seems like they'll have less of a chance to introduce new characters, and that's important in this kind of show. But, losing Palmer would be HUGE. So, I guess we'll have to wait & see what happens next.

All in all, a great finale, with a well-deserved 9.5/10 (still a 10 on the poll) for a season that clearly rates as another winner, and the season gets a 10/10 (mainly 'cause I'll just ignore the Kim arcs that don't involve t-shirts or showers ).

Cheers,
Old 22nd May 2003, 22:24   #18
Sleigh
Executive Council Member

Send a message via AIM to Sleigh
RM: Re your point about not being able to introduce new characters next season if they start in the next day, weren't the two men at the end of the last episode that set up the Palmer attack new? I want to know who they are and what they're up to....since as we keep stating, I don't get how the country would go to war based solely on what happened to Palmer. There has to be more to those two guys and the attack on Palmer....

(I haven't watched 24 consistently this season so if those two guys had appeared before, my bad. )

I could so save the world if somebody handed me super powers -- Real Me
All of a sudden rich and handsome isn't enough. Now I expect a guy to be all brave and interesting. -- Bachelor Party
Sleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 22:53   #19
Zak
Executive Council Member

Send a message via ICQ to Zak
@kelt: 2 things to say Palmer was right to fire Mike (IMHO). Mike was his most trusted advisor. After what happened they could never work that close together.

About the war: Hmmm.... Mandy got Palmers fingerprints. With the fingerprints from the president you surely can wreak a lot of havoc. I only wonder why the ugly acid-attack side effect. Nobody would have noticed that something is wrong if that hadnt happened. But I guess they needed that kind of cliffhager.

On the downside I was a bit disappointed about the final shootout. Dont exactly know why. But compared to the season one big fight this one was kinda lame.

Overall a good 8 / 10 for the finale.

The season as a whole deserves a 9 / 10 IMHO

(dont think they can ever get a strong season like no. 1 again. But if it stays like it is now - its okay with me, too. )

~ Zak
Since I found Serenety
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 23:01   #20
Siri

Fingerprints?

The thing she had on her hands (and only on the inside of her hands, so no way will this get Palmer's prints) was a (deadly imo) toxin on some sort of layer that protects the killer (Mandy).
Old 22nd May 2003, 23:16   #21
Righteousman

Sleigh:

Well, to be exact, I didn't mean we wouldn't get *any* new characters, but what made S2 fresh was the introduction of a new CTU team (minus Mason & Tony), and more outside players who were completely new to the story - in Palmer's administration, the Warners, the Black Hats, etc.

So, while I'm sure there would be new characters with the next day, I don't see as much new blood; and for the success of the show to continue, it does seem to need new blood -- look at what happened with Kim; it can be said that since her major storyline the year before had run its course in S1, S2 was pretty lame with her.

Alex:

Yeah, it could just be a protective barrier, but it is also possible having his prints might come in handy, too.

Cheers,
Old 22nd May 2003, 23:23   #22
Siri

You boys made me rewatch. His 'fingerprints' never touch the part of her hand that was covered in that latexy-stuff.
Old 23rd May 2003, 19:42   #23
Zak
Executive Council Member

Send a message via ICQ to Zak
@Alex: Why then did the insides of Palmers hands get the wounds?

~ Zak
Since I found Serenety
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2003, 19:45   #24
calishell
Council Elder

Send a message via AIM to calishell
From tvguide.com:
Quote:
24: Mad bomber Mandy (Mia Kirshner) — one of the few, surviving evildoers from Season One — resurfaced in the final scene to poison President Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) with a biotoxic handshake! Is the commander-in-chief DOA? Fox isn't squealing, but according to Bill Martel, an expert in weapons of mass destruction and a professor at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I., Palmer's odds of survival are good. "It looks like he was [attacked] with a blister agent called Lewisite," he says, adding that the germ can be fatal in the absence of immediate medical attention. "But being the president, he has more medical attention around him than 99 percent of the people on the planet."
calishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2003, 19:50   #25
Siri

Quote:
Originally posted by Zak
@Alex: Why then did the insides of Palmers hands get the wounds?
Yes, the palm of his hand got all blistery. Did you check his fingertips? Because as far as i know, that's usually where the fingerprinsts are.

Look at what part of Mandy's hand was covered in the latexy stuff, then go experiment on roommates/family to see what part you touch when you shake hands.
Old 23rd May 2003, 20:00   #26
calishell
Council Elder

Send a message via AIM to calishell
Quote:
originally posted by kelt:
First off I would like to nominate the second season of 24 as the most consistantly strong season of television ever. I mean really, can anyone come up with a show that could lay title to tha claim over what we have just seen?
Yes, BTVS season 3

Enjoyed the ep, although I knew something was going to happen to Palmer at some point...stupid tvguide.com! I thought a sniper would shoot him, but the hand-shaking approach was cool.

I'm glad Palmer fired Mike...he was such an ass for betraying the President.

I liked how each storyline wrapped up neatly, although I really don't want the CTU couple to become a couple. I loved Palmer's speach. I liked Kim/Jack reunion (can she be the one to have a heart attack now?)

But the best part was the Warner family reunion. That was ultra creepy. I'm glad Kate is still good and Marie is still alive. We need those two for day 3 because they bring a nice element to the show.

The only question I have regarding the second day...did Lynn survive? We never heard anything about her after she left in the ambulance.

8/10.
calishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 19:06   #27
The Host
Executive Council Member

Quote:
Yes, the palm of his hand got all blistery. Did you check his fingertips? Because as far as i know, that's usually where the fingerprinsts are.

LOL
Old 13th Aug 2003, 15:00   #28
Hugo Rune
Executive Council Member

Send a message via ICQ to Hugo Rune Send a message via Yahoo to Hugo Rune
Meh.

This just aired on Sunday last over here...

Up until the bomb went off this season was full of tension and drama... and then it fumbled a bit, trying to find new ground... and then it just dropped the ball.

Apologies, but the last 5-7 episodes were incredibly stagnant and contrived... the logic seemed to keep on flying - straight out of the window and over the rainbow.

Jack spent 6 episodes chasing his tail... going around and around and around... whilst Palmer did the same thing in a board room.

And the ending.... only strong moment for me was "Now either fire me or get out of my chair". Tony, came good.... but even that seemed a contrivance after his previous murmerings earlier on in the season.

Great start, daring middle.... and then a big-ass ol' belly flop.

5/10 for the finale... 6/10 for the season... which is a shame cos up until midnight it was averaging a hearty 8...

Hugo