Reply  Post New Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th Sep 2003, 13:10   #1
Red
Council Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Red
New board idea

Lynn, I was thinking...

There is not *really* a place to just put completely off the wall funny posts, or off topic posts. I mean, you can post an OT thread on the Buffy board, but there is no board actually set up for off topic generality. I think there used to be such a board...

ANYWAY, I was wondering about setting up a General board. Is this possible?

Culture For All
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2003, 13:13   #2
Lynn
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Lynn Send a message via AIM to Lynn
Been there, done it... twice in fact.

It has never really worked, people just like having OT stuff on the main board.

If anyone wants to suggest a new and untried way we could try it again I'm open to suggestions, but on past experience I would say probably not...
Ned: "You ugly, hate-filled man!" Moe: "Hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled but... what was the third thing you said?"
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2003, 13:17   #3
Red
Council Elder

Well, when I was on illout, I moderated the Donuts board, which was completely off topic things, and it really worked. In fact, it pulled in new people. I think it can work here, and actually bring in new people, such as Kevin, Miss D, Kahio...all these people posted on Donuts at illout, and I am sure they would post on an off-topic board.

Culture For All
Old 12th Sep 2003, 13:47   #4
Siri

I am not for it. These boards were created (and are maintained) specifically as a place where we come together to talk about some specific things we all like. We make friends here, and if we want more contact than meaningful debate (cause all the posts are always meaningful ), we take it to IRC, or some sort of Messenger for example. I think most people are ok with this arrangement. I'd like to draw in new people to, but first and foremost because we are a community with interesting discussions, with people who share the love for Genre entertainment. This is actually the main reason why i came to this board, and why I eventually stopped going to Illout.
Siri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2003, 13:48   #5
Lynn
Administrator

Red: Yes, you probably could... but that's not really what this community is about. There are thousands of posting communities on the web, and millions of people posting on them. If we make just a general chit chat board, which has never worked here before - basically because it's not why our members come here! - it could end up being a home for a group who would use a lot of bandwidth which was never intended for this type of use. Our previous attempts at chat boards have not worked because the majority of the community either aren't interested, or do their chatting off the boards, and it has worked well that way.

What ties our community together is that most of the posters read the main board and at least some of the 'other' boards. I am really not keen on the idea of a sub-community developing, composed of people who are not participating in the core discussions that brought us together.

Also a high-volume, low-content board would increase the cost of running the site, but without generating the level of debate and interest we are used to. There are a lot of posters here who used to be on Illout... and they left for reasons. I don't see much point in recreating that community, with its own issues, here.

Frankly, there are hundreds of public board hosts, like EZ board, UGO, whoever else, who can run those. It's just not what I (and I think the majority of the long term community) want for here.
Ned: "You ugly, hate-filled man!" Moe: "Hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled but... what was the third thing you said?"
Old 12th Sep 2003, 14:18   #6
Maverick-X

I have to agree with Siri and Lynn here, I don't think a Donut type board would fit in this community. Every person out there is welcome to these boards but it should be because they wanna talk about Buffy or Angel or some other show that we talk about on the genre boards.

You can always talk OT in the main board and what is not appropriate there is not appropriate for this forum, so making another board to be appropriate for even more OT stuff would be a bit againts it's nature.

In short: I'd rather not have a copy of Illout over here, been there, done that and I'm glad this is not that kinda place.
Old 12th Sep 2003, 15:25   #7
Red
Council Elder

I understand what you are saying, but actually, for the very reasons you say that a "general"forum would be bad, I think it is actually a good idea.

This forum is set up for a specific purpose: to discuss various forms of genre entertainment we all like. I agree. But then with the flood of off topic posts on the Buffy boards...I see people veering off that "purpose"all the time. So I guess what I am saying is that an off topic board will make the Buffy boards more "Buffy-centric," and I can assure you that the people who would post in the off topic board also would be Buffy fans. So this would bring in more BUffy fans to the site, and also lead to a more streamlined main board.

Or, at least that is why I thought it would be a good idea to have a general off-topic board...

Culture For All
Old 12th Sep 2003, 15:32   #8
Lynn
Administrator

The main board is always more OT during hiatus. When the new season of Angel starts we will be back to review threads etc.
Old 12th Sep 2003, 15:37   #9
calishell
Council Elder

Send a message via AIM to calishell
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

This forum is set up for a specific purpose: to discuss various forms of genre entertainment we all like. I agree. But then with the flood of off topic posts on the Buffy boards...I see people veering off that "purpose"all the time. So I guess what I am saying is that an off topic board will make the Buffy boards more "Buffy-centric," and I can assure you that the people who would post in the off topic board also would be Buffy fans. So this would bring in more BUffy fans to the site, and also lead to a more streamlined main board.

I wasn't going to chime in on this subject, but I have to admit that I agree with Red for the reasons she stated.

edit...jeez, I can't type today. Leaving out words, phrases, entire sentences in all of my posts. This has not been a good week. Just adding a few words to clarify.

Last edited by calishell : 12th Sep 2003 at 15:43.
calishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2003, 15:55   #10
Red
Council Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn
The main board is always more OT during hiatus. When the new season of Angel starts we will be back to review threads etc.

Regardless, there will always be off-topic threads, and there is only a limited amount of ways you can discuss Angel. So what I am saying is that I think a general board can sustain the community during times when thoughts about Angel are not as forthcoming...

And YAY to calishell!

Edited to bold Kim's name. See, I am a good girl!

Culture For All
Old 12th Sep 2003, 16:11   #11
Lynn
Administrator

Red: We have 9 other boards to sustain the community. The community has been sustained for 4 years now by our decisions.

I appreciate your point, but I really don't think we need to import a group of Illout posters to talk about OT stuff in order to 'sustain' BA. We have done fine up to now, and I am afraid this would disrupt the character of BA as it now is. It might work, but right now I'm not willing to try it.
Old 12th Sep 2003, 16:23   #12
Red
Council Elder

I never said it would involve importing all these illout posters. The ones I cited already have joined these boards. They just may post more.

Anyway...if you already had this type of board, I do not see how it would disrupt the character.

But guess what? Not worth arguing. I'll drop it.

Culture For All
Old 12th Sep 2003, 17:03   #13
calishell
Council Elder

Send a message via AIM to calishell
Red, just an fyi to you...I think this question came up a few months ago and there was more input from other posters. The general consensus was that the membership preferred to keep things as they were.

for what it's worth (which isn't a lot), while I see some benefits to an OT board and would like to have one, I'm cool either way on the subject.
calishell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2003, 18:50   #14
THP
Administrator
Sorcerer

As Lynn says we did try it once in the past when we had more active posters than right now and after about 3 months it had got about 20 posts, so we dropped it...

Also we have no real rules about what you can post where and the main board has long been the home of our ot meanderings...

Like above I would say if a huge number of folks want to try it again then fine but otherwise lets review it once the seasons get started and the boards are more normal...

I am not a f***ing pin!

Be a Government Informer. Betray your Family and Friends. Fabulous prizes to be won. - Red Dwarf 5.6
THP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread